Friday, March 30, 2012

The No-Cutting Bubble Romper

For my latest project, I was able to use a fabric I had exactly 1/2 yard of -- and to use the whole piece, with no cutting, no scraps, and only one seam -- to make a bubble romper for spring.  I combined a couple of tutorials I found online to do it.

I used the Craftiness is Not Optional Ice Cream Social Dress tutorial to make the top and Mama Says Sew's bubble romper tutorial to ... romperify ... the bottom.


One seam at the selvages to make a tube.
Folded over the top .25 inch, then 2.25 inches and pressed.
Stitched down at the edge of the fold (leaving a couple inches open), and again a little more than an inch up, to make an elastic casing with a frill above.
Turned the bottom under .25 inch, then about another 1/3 inch, and pressed.
Used a little coordinating scrap (left over from this project) to make two, 2"x4.5" strips.


Sewed into tubes, then turned inside out and tucked the ends in, and stitched down the ends.
Pinned crotch pieces in place at the center of front and back.  I did this wrong the first time -- one should be on the inside of the garment and one should be on the outside.
Stitched around bottom of dress, leaving enough room for a 1/8 inch elastic, and leaving openings at the edges of the pink strips for the elastic to go in.

Added a 1" length of elastic the measurement of the baby's chest in the top casing, and added two 1/8" lengths of elastic, each one the measurement around one of the baby's thighs, one into each of the leg casings.





Sewed elastic casing closed and pinned down ribbon straps.  It took me a few tries to get the length right.





Got to this point and realized I didn't have enough regular snaps -- the kind you punch in with the little tool -- so I had to use sew-in snaps.  My sew-in snaps were bigger, though, which made stitching around the snap plackets pretty tricky!
 Last but not least, I made a bow out of the rest of my ribbon (which I have been saving ever since it came as wrapping on a baby shower gift -- isn't it pretty?!) and hand-sewed it on.
Finished product.

I hadn't really been thinking of Easter when I bought the fabric -- just sort of spring/summer -- but now I'm thinking it will be perfect for the church Easter egg hunt on Saturday!

The coolest part? It used $5 worth of fabric, ribbon I was given, and maybe a couple bucks' worth of notions, etc., tops.  

5 comments:

  1. So cute, Helen and the romper. I cannot even sew a straight line :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so adorable! love the romperishness of it. (that's a word now...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bunny theme, this is bubble romper is super cute, just like the model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been looking for a romper tutorial for a while. I've made the Ice Cream Social Dress before but hadn't realised how simple it would be to transform it into a romper. Excited about getting going on this when I have a spare afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, I wanted a tutorial just like this! Thank you! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.

Friday, March 30, 2012

The No-Cutting Bubble Romper

For my latest project, I was able to use a fabric I had exactly 1/2 yard of -- and to use the whole piece, with no cutting, no scraps, and only one seam -- to make a bubble romper for spring.  I combined a couple of tutorials I found online to do it.

I used the Craftiness is Not Optional Ice Cream Social Dress tutorial to make the top and Mama Says Sew's bubble romper tutorial to ... romperify ... the bottom.


One seam at the selvages to make a tube.
Folded over the top .25 inch, then 2.25 inches and pressed.
Stitched down at the edge of the fold (leaving a couple inches open), and again a little more than an inch up, to make an elastic casing with a frill above.
Turned the bottom under .25 inch, then about another 1/3 inch, and pressed.
Used a little coordinating scrap (left over from this project) to make two, 2"x4.5" strips.


Sewed into tubes, then turned inside out and tucked the ends in, and stitched down the ends.
Pinned crotch pieces in place at the center of front and back.  I did this wrong the first time -- one should be on the inside of the garment and one should be on the outside.
Stitched around bottom of dress, leaving enough room for a 1/8 inch elastic, and leaving openings at the edges of the pink strips for the elastic to go in.

Added a 1" length of elastic the measurement of the baby's chest in the top casing, and added two 1/8" lengths of elastic, each one the measurement around one of the baby's thighs, one into each of the leg casings.





Sewed elastic casing closed and pinned down ribbon straps.  It took me a few tries to get the length right.





Got to this point and realized I didn't have enough regular snaps -- the kind you punch in with the little tool -- so I had to use sew-in snaps.  My sew-in snaps were bigger, though, which made stitching around the snap plackets pretty tricky!
 Last but not least, I made a bow out of the rest of my ribbon (which I have been saving ever since it came as wrapping on a baby shower gift -- isn't it pretty?!) and hand-sewed it on.
Finished product.

I hadn't really been thinking of Easter when I bought the fabric -- just sort of spring/summer -- but now I'm thinking it will be perfect for the church Easter egg hunt on Saturday!

The coolest part? It used $5 worth of fabric, ribbon I was given, and maybe a couple bucks' worth of notions, etc., tops.  

5 comments:

  1. So cute, Helen and the romper. I cannot even sew a straight line :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so adorable! love the romperishness of it. (that's a word now...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bunny theme, this is bubble romper is super cute, just like the model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been looking for a romper tutorial for a while. I've made the Ice Cream Social Dress before but hadn't realised how simple it would be to transform it into a romper. Excited about getting going on this when I have a spare afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, I wanted a tutorial just like this! Thank you! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.