Friday, June 29, 2012

Snappy Toddler Top and matching knickers

Well, for some reason, I put it off for quite a while, but I finally got around to the Snappy Toddler Top from Prudent Baby.  I think I was intimidated by the round yoke neckline, even though the pattern and directions are simple enough.  But I have to say, I did have a little bit of trouble.  Not because there was anything wrong with the pattern, but because I am just not very good at sewing around curves.  Seriously, I've done it a lot by now, but I have just never really gotten good at it.  I guess I should sew up a few more Snappy Toddler Tops for practice.

Anyway, as you can see, I decided to make it as a Buttony Toddler Top instead. ;-)  Just because I didn't have any pretty snaps I would want to show.  I think I positioned but buttons and holes too far back, because the armholes are a little tight, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem, so it's obviously something I did.  I'm going to try to move the buttons as far as I can to make it just a bit roomier.

I went with yellow buttons because the centers of the pinwheels are yellow.  Unsurprisingly, I chose fabrics from my all-time favorite line.  I probably need to quit going back to the same well, but it's such a large line, there are still lots I haven't tried!  (Also lots in my stash; you will be seeing it again.) I also added a little pocket, which I think turned out pretty cute.



I'm not going to share the source of the pattern/tutorial for the little knickers here, because I don't have anything nice to say, I'm afraid.  That's not true.  They turned out cute.  But I had way, way more trouble with them than I think I should have, and I'm not going to blame myself for this one.  The directions and tutorial pictures were just really bad.  Still... it was free, so I guess beggars can't be choosers.  I might even use it again someday, now that I've figured out the mystery method!




Anyway, all told, I struggled with this outfit more than most I make, but I'm glad I made it.  I mean, how cute is that!  I think it's perfect for Independence Day week!

3 comments:

  1. I love your coordinating fabrics! I had a problem with tight armholes too--I had to give my first one to a friend with a younger baby and start over! So it's not just you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfit turned out darling! I just made this pattern into a dress for each of my two daughters, sz 12 mo and 2T, and I found the armholes to be a problem also.. I think I'm going to have to cut them apart and redo them longer with new bias tape. Did you just leave them as is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Beth and Barbara! I was about to say "I'm glad I'm not the only one," but of course I'm not glad y'all also had trouble! Barbara, I have left them because I am way too lazy and ready to move on to something else to try again for now. :-) I did move the buttons as far to the ends of the neck piece as I could, although that didn't really gain me much room. I think I'm going to have my little girl wear it to church this Sunday (it doesn't actually seem to bother her at all) and then put it away in my "in case we have another girl someday" pile. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Snappy Toddler Top and matching knickers

Well, for some reason, I put it off for quite a while, but I finally got around to the Snappy Toddler Top from Prudent Baby.  I think I was intimidated by the round yoke neckline, even though the pattern and directions are simple enough.  But I have to say, I did have a little bit of trouble.  Not because there was anything wrong with the pattern, but because I am just not very good at sewing around curves.  Seriously, I've done it a lot by now, but I have just never really gotten good at it.  I guess I should sew up a few more Snappy Toddler Tops for practice.

Anyway, as you can see, I decided to make it as a Buttony Toddler Top instead. ;-)  Just because I didn't have any pretty snaps I would want to show.  I think I positioned but buttons and holes too far back, because the armholes are a little tight, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem, so it's obviously something I did.  I'm going to try to move the buttons as far as I can to make it just a bit roomier.

I went with yellow buttons because the centers of the pinwheels are yellow.  Unsurprisingly, I chose fabrics from my all-time favorite line.  I probably need to quit going back to the same well, but it's such a large line, there are still lots I haven't tried!  (Also lots in my stash; you will be seeing it again.) I also added a little pocket, which I think turned out pretty cute.



I'm not going to share the source of the pattern/tutorial for the little knickers here, because I don't have anything nice to say, I'm afraid.  That's not true.  They turned out cute.  But I had way, way more trouble with them than I think I should have, and I'm not going to blame myself for this one.  The directions and tutorial pictures were just really bad.  Still... it was free, so I guess beggars can't be choosers.  I might even use it again someday, now that I've figured out the mystery method!




Anyway, all told, I struggled with this outfit more than most I make, but I'm glad I made it.  I mean, how cute is that!  I think it's perfect for Independence Day week!

3 comments:

  1. I love your coordinating fabrics! I had a problem with tight armholes too--I had to give my first one to a friend with a younger baby and start over! So it's not just you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfit turned out darling! I just made this pattern into a dress for each of my two daughters, sz 12 mo and 2T, and I found the armholes to be a problem also.. I think I'm going to have to cut them apart and redo them longer with new bias tape. Did you just leave them as is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Beth and Barbara! I was about to say "I'm glad I'm not the only one," but of course I'm not glad y'all also had trouble! Barbara, I have left them because I am way too lazy and ready to move on to something else to try again for now. :-) I did move the buttons as far to the ends of the neck piece as I could, although that didn't really gain me much room. I think I'm going to have my little girl wear it to church this Sunday (it doesn't actually seem to bother her at all) and then put it away in my "in case we have another girl someday" pile. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.