|All the best models pose with their Swiffer Wet Jets. Right?!|
Well, after my last couple of attempts to make myself a shirt (one using a pattern, one without) fizzled, I was a little discouraged, but I gave it one more try, and I think I hit the mark this time.
With football season coming up, I decided to try a new gameday top that would show my support for the ol' alma mater while looking a little nicer than the innumerable ratty old T-shirts lining my closet. I didn't have a pattern I wanted to use, but I did have a drapey Old Navy tank that I once loved (sadly no longer wearable -- it has a snag right on the front).
It looked like it would be pretty easy to replicate, as the armhole and necklines were bound with knit fabric and there were no complicating elements like darts. I also decided to make my own bias tape for the neckline and armholes -- something I'd been meaning to try for a while, but putting off because it seemed scary!
I already had a yard and a half of this school-colors plaid. I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture, but it has a metallic gold woven into the plaid. I'm going through a real metallics phase, so I couldn't resist.
I traced the top out on paper, adding a bit of room for seam allowances (too much, as it turned out). As you can see, the original shirt was a racerback, but I didn't want this one to be, so I kind of modified the front tracing to use that for the back as well.
I then followed these instructions for making a continuous bias strip. It was pretty simple! I haven't picked up a bias tape folder gizmo yet, but it was only two yards, so I just pressed it by hand (first in half, then each edge toward the center line). That took an annoyingly long time, resulted in a few steam burns (OW!) and made for sort of uneven results, but hey, it got the job done in one evening, and besides, with such a busy fabric, it's not as easy to see the unevenness.
As I mentioned earlier, it ended up being pretty baggy at first because I had given myself a bit too much extra room, so I had to take in the side seams and strap seams. I zigzagged the seams for durability afterwards, then attached the bias tape and hemmed the bottom.
Start to finish on this was probably about three hours, but would have been less if I hadn't been folding the bias tape by hand.
And, at less than $9 for supplies (with a good chunk of fabric left over), it costs even less than a new T-shirt. :-)
|Wow, I am awkward at posing!|
Of course, green and gold are really not my colors, but there's not much I can do about that!