Wednesday, September 19, 2012

a project from a while back

Since I haven't had any new sewing projects to share lately, I thought I'd post about one of my favorites that I did before I started the blog.

For H's first Christmas, I was determined to get her a red-headed baby doll.  This proved difficult to find, especially since I wanted one with baby-safe hair and eyes.  I really didn't want to make one because I was afraid I wouldn't have time, but I eventually decided that was the only way to get just what I wanted, so I decided to attempt the Black Apple doll pattern that is very popular among sewing types.  (Apparently it's been around for a few years, but I only started sewing in earnest last summer, so it was new to me!)

The pattern calls for a painted face and felt hair, but I wanted something softer and less pilly for the hair, and I knew I would make a hash of a painted face, so I opted for felt applique and embroidery for the facial features and a super-soft smooth minky fabric for the hair.

It's quite a bit orange-er than H's real hair, but it's very hard to replicate her sweet coppery color in fabric form!

And the face is definitely a bit wonky (I never said I actually knew how to embroider), but I think that adds to her "homespun charm."

I named her Miss Liza, after a certain somebody I've always admired.  That's Liza with a Z. ;-)

Yikes -- apparently last Christmas I was really bad at photography.  Hopefully I'm a little better now!

I gave her a denim dress with a lacy collar and ruffles, and under the ruffles I wrote a secret message with a laundry marker. I freely confess I stole this idea from these AMAZING dolls. I had wanted to buy her one, but they are in high demand and had stopped taking orders long before Christmas.

Bible verse under the top ruffle.  There's also a little love note under the second one. 
For all that I had hoped H would like her doll, I couldn't have imagined how much she would love her!  Miss Liza (which H pronounces more like Laya or Yaya) is one of two toys that are absolute necessities at bedtime.  She has been cuddled, sweated on, gnawed on, and sneezed on so much that she's already had to go through the wash several times.  As a result, I'm a little afraid that she won't make it through H's childhood intact.  As a matter of fact, she's already got a few seams that are starting to give, and it's obvious that stitching won't do the trick.  We're looking at patches, people.

So now I'm trying to decide: flesh-colored patches or fun, mismatched, colorful ones?  What's your vote?
H and Miss Liza on Christmas morning

1 comment:

  1. I think the colorful patches would add an additional layer of charm!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

a project from a while back

Since I haven't had any new sewing projects to share lately, I thought I'd post about one of my favorites that I did before I started the blog.

For H's first Christmas, I was determined to get her a red-headed baby doll.  This proved difficult to find, especially since I wanted one with baby-safe hair and eyes.  I really didn't want to make one because I was afraid I wouldn't have time, but I eventually decided that was the only way to get just what I wanted, so I decided to attempt the Black Apple doll pattern that is very popular among sewing types.  (Apparently it's been around for a few years, but I only started sewing in earnest last summer, so it was new to me!)

The pattern calls for a painted face and felt hair, but I wanted something softer and less pilly for the hair, and I knew I would make a hash of a painted face, so I opted for felt applique and embroidery for the facial features and a super-soft smooth minky fabric for the hair.

It's quite a bit orange-er than H's real hair, but it's very hard to replicate her sweet coppery color in fabric form!

And the face is definitely a bit wonky (I never said I actually knew how to embroider), but I think that adds to her "homespun charm."

I named her Miss Liza, after a certain somebody I've always admired.  That's Liza with a Z. ;-)

Yikes -- apparently last Christmas I was really bad at photography.  Hopefully I'm a little better now!

I gave her a denim dress with a lacy collar and ruffles, and under the ruffles I wrote a secret message with a laundry marker. I freely confess I stole this idea from these AMAZING dolls. I had wanted to buy her one, but they are in high demand and had stopped taking orders long before Christmas.

Bible verse under the top ruffle.  There's also a little love note under the second one. 
For all that I had hoped H would like her doll, I couldn't have imagined how much she would love her!  Miss Liza (which H pronounces more like Laya or Yaya) is one of two toys that are absolute necessities at bedtime.  She has been cuddled, sweated on, gnawed on, and sneezed on so much that she's already had to go through the wash several times.  As a result, I'm a little afraid that she won't make it through H's childhood intact.  As a matter of fact, she's already got a few seams that are starting to give, and it's obvious that stitching won't do the trick.  We're looking at patches, people.

So now I'm trying to decide: flesh-colored patches or fun, mismatched, colorful ones?  What's your vote?
H and Miss Liza on Christmas morning

1 comment:

  1. I think the colorful patches would add an additional layer of charm!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.