Sunday, September 16, 2012

What I've been working on!

I haven't been sewing much lately ... because I've been busy working hard on a major household project: getting organized! We've been outgrowing our house, and while we do some thinking about whether we want to stay put or move along to a bigger place, we've decided to get rid of stuff we're not using and make better use of our available space.

One space that was really becoming a problem was the dining room, which is the room you walk into from our front door.  It had become my de facto craft room, with my sewing machine out all the time, fabrics stuffed into the built-in bookcase, and the dining table strewn with patterns and works-in-progress about 90% of the time.  Something needed to change.

So N and I scoured Craigslist and found this nice armoire for only $175.  New it would have been about $1300.  Of course, it had some pretty deep scratches, but they were mostly on the inside, and it is big and otherwise fits the bill, so we were sold.  N had to do a lot of heavy lifting, but we finally got it set up.





Over the next couple of weeks I used spare minutes here and there to get organized, and N helped me with stuff like installing pegboard inside, cutting dowels to size, and installing the library lights (which we got at Ikea years ago and have used in various places) on the top of the armoire.  There are a couple of things we haven't done yet.  The doors are slightly crooked and need to be adjusted, and N is planning to make me a fold-down table for my sewing machine.  For now I'm going to keep using the cool industrial type cart N made me a few years ago for my machine when I'm using it, and put it in the armoire when I'm not.

I think my machine (his name is Houston) looks so lonely in his new home! I think he needs a brother! (See what I did there?)

The fold-down sewing table will theoretically attach to the left door.  Maybe.  We're still noodling over it.

Now I can actually see all my stuff!  And I have room for so much more! :-)


Works-in-progress can be stashed on the tray on the right side of this shelf (not a great picture, oops) to get them off the dining table.

Now that I can see how much stuff I have, maybe I won't overbuy.  You can't really tell, but there are about 20 packages of elastic in that right-hand bin.
And at the bottom -- three big drawers for fabrics.  Nice not to have them spilling off our dining room shelves anymore.  YAY!

1 comment:

  1. This looks really nice Ambero! I know you will enjoy it more now that you can get to it easily. The little tornado ought to be safer too!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

What I've been working on!

I haven't been sewing much lately ... because I've been busy working hard on a major household project: getting organized! We've been outgrowing our house, and while we do some thinking about whether we want to stay put or move along to a bigger place, we've decided to get rid of stuff we're not using and make better use of our available space.

One space that was really becoming a problem was the dining room, which is the room you walk into from our front door.  It had become my de facto craft room, with my sewing machine out all the time, fabrics stuffed into the built-in bookcase, and the dining table strewn with patterns and works-in-progress about 90% of the time.  Something needed to change.

So N and I scoured Craigslist and found this nice armoire for only $175.  New it would have been about $1300.  Of course, it had some pretty deep scratches, but they were mostly on the inside, and it is big and otherwise fits the bill, so we were sold.  N had to do a lot of heavy lifting, but we finally got it set up.





Over the next couple of weeks I used spare minutes here and there to get organized, and N helped me with stuff like installing pegboard inside, cutting dowels to size, and installing the library lights (which we got at Ikea years ago and have used in various places) on the top of the armoire.  There are a couple of things we haven't done yet.  The doors are slightly crooked and need to be adjusted, and N is planning to make me a fold-down table for my sewing machine.  For now I'm going to keep using the cool industrial type cart N made me a few years ago for my machine when I'm using it, and put it in the armoire when I'm not.

I think my machine (his name is Houston) looks so lonely in his new home! I think he needs a brother! (See what I did there?)

The fold-down sewing table will theoretically attach to the left door.  Maybe.  We're still noodling over it.

Now I can actually see all my stuff!  And I have room for so much more! :-)


Works-in-progress can be stashed on the tray on the right side of this shelf (not a great picture, oops) to get them off the dining table.

Now that I can see how much stuff I have, maybe I won't overbuy.  You can't really tell, but there are about 20 packages of elastic in that right-hand bin.
And at the bottom -- three big drawers for fabrics.  Nice not to have them spilling off our dining room shelves anymore.  YAY!

1 comment:

  1. This looks really nice Ambero! I know you will enjoy it more now that you can get to it easily. The little tornado ought to be safer too!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.