Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pumpkin picking dress

So, a while back, I ordered some of this fall fabric online thinking it would make a pretty Thanksgiving dress for H.  What can I say?  You can't win them all.  When I saw it in person, I realized the scale and pattern were totally crazy and my poor child would look like a walking couch cushion if I made her wear a dress made of this.

So I put it in the Goodwill pile, but then a week or so ago I remembered it when I was wanting a fall-ish fabric to use as a trim on a dress for her to wear to fall outings like trips to the pumpkin patch.  I had some chocolate brown on hand that I decided to use for the body, and I hoped the leaf print wouldn't be too crazy in a small dose as the sleeves and ruffle.

I used this peasant dress pattern, which was very easy to follow and makes a more slim-fitting dress than your normal peasant dress.

Although I am ALWAYS rushed when I sew, this time I took the time to change out thread when sewing the different parts (partway through the neckline casing, etc.) so there would be no dark brown thread on light fabric or vice-versa.  I think this really helped make it look more professional.

neckline casing with two colors of thread
I had recently ordered a really cute custom "H" pumpkin applique patch thing from Etsy, meaning to use it on a drawstring bag I'm planning to make for her to use as a trick-or-treating bag.  When I saw how well it matched the dress, I came thiiiiiis close to using it there and ordering a second patch for the bag. But frugality won out when I remembered these fall-ish animal covered buttons I had from another project, so I went with that instead.



H likes the squirrel.  She thinks the possum is a bear.  :-)



I haven't actually tried it on my little punkin yet, but it looks like it will fit well, and I think the colors will be pretty against her red hair. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pumpkin picking dress

So, a while back, I ordered some of this fall fabric online thinking it would make a pretty Thanksgiving dress for H.  What can I say?  You can't win them all.  When I saw it in person, I realized the scale and pattern were totally crazy and my poor child would look like a walking couch cushion if I made her wear a dress made of this.

So I put it in the Goodwill pile, but then a week or so ago I remembered it when I was wanting a fall-ish fabric to use as a trim on a dress for her to wear to fall outings like trips to the pumpkin patch.  I had some chocolate brown on hand that I decided to use for the body, and I hoped the leaf print wouldn't be too crazy in a small dose as the sleeves and ruffle.

I used this peasant dress pattern, which was very easy to follow and makes a more slim-fitting dress than your normal peasant dress.

Although I am ALWAYS rushed when I sew, this time I took the time to change out thread when sewing the different parts (partway through the neckline casing, etc.) so there would be no dark brown thread on light fabric or vice-versa.  I think this really helped make it look more professional.

neckline casing with two colors of thread
I had recently ordered a really cute custom "H" pumpkin applique patch thing from Etsy, meaning to use it on a drawstring bag I'm planning to make for her to use as a trick-or-treating bag.  When I saw how well it matched the dress, I came thiiiiiis close to using it there and ordering a second patch for the bag. But frugality won out when I remembered these fall-ish animal covered buttons I had from another project, so I went with that instead.



H likes the squirrel.  She thinks the possum is a bear.  :-)



I haven't actually tried it on my little punkin yet, but it looks like it will fit well, and I think the colors will be pretty against her red hair. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.