Monday, December 17, 2012

An Apron Reverse Knot Dress for Christmas


 is was another situation where a cute fabric drove the dress idea.  I happened upon this adorable red matryoshka nativity fabric at JoAnn's and thought it was just too cute not to use for something -- but also too busy to make a whole dress out of.  So I went through several ideas for a Christmas dress but finally decided upon this apron reverse-knot jumper (a knot dress usually ties in the front; this one ties in the back) from Viola Lee Patterns on Etsy.

I really struggled to come up with good coordinating fabrics because it wasn't (as far as I could tell) part of a coordinating line, so I had to wing it.  I finally found a couple that worked well: a light blue Kona cotton with sparkles (!) that brings out the blue in "Mary's" cloak (I think maybe this one?) and a white-and-red snowflake pattern that matches the red background ... which seems to be no longer available.


It sparkles!  And I need to work on my bow-tying...
 The pattern was easy to follow, although it took me a long time simply because I was only able to work in short bursts on this one.  But it was fun to make.  It is absolutely adorable on her with her little white peasant blouse underneath, but I want to wait to share pictures until I have had a chance to make the light blue tulle petticoat I plan on her wearing with this.  Oh, my. So much cuteness shouldn't be legal!


It's a little bit big on her (the smallest pattern size was 2T/3T and she is a dainty 22-month-old) but it doesn't swallow her too much to wear this year... and she should be able to wear it at least one more year if not two. Which is good, since she will only get to wear it a couple of times this Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. This fabric is too cute. Much better in person than the pictures allow. I love the knot feature. I had never seen that before.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.

Monday, December 17, 2012

An Apron Reverse Knot Dress for Christmas


 is was another situation where a cute fabric drove the dress idea.  I happened upon this adorable red matryoshka nativity fabric at JoAnn's and thought it was just too cute not to use for something -- but also too busy to make a whole dress out of.  So I went through several ideas for a Christmas dress but finally decided upon this apron reverse-knot jumper (a knot dress usually ties in the front; this one ties in the back) from Viola Lee Patterns on Etsy.

I really struggled to come up with good coordinating fabrics because it wasn't (as far as I could tell) part of a coordinating line, so I had to wing it.  I finally found a couple that worked well: a light blue Kona cotton with sparkles (!) that brings out the blue in "Mary's" cloak (I think maybe this one?) and a white-and-red snowflake pattern that matches the red background ... which seems to be no longer available.


It sparkles!  And I need to work on my bow-tying...
 The pattern was easy to follow, although it took me a long time simply because I was only able to work in short bursts on this one.  But it was fun to make.  It is absolutely adorable on her with her little white peasant blouse underneath, but I want to wait to share pictures until I have had a chance to make the light blue tulle petticoat I plan on her wearing with this.  Oh, my. So much cuteness shouldn't be legal!


It's a little bit big on her (the smallest pattern size was 2T/3T and she is a dainty 22-month-old) but it doesn't swallow her too much to wear this year... and she should be able to wear it at least one more year if not two. Which is good, since she will only get to wear it a couple of times this Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. This fabric is too cute. Much better in person than the pictures allow. I love the knot feature. I had never seen that before.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.