Monday, December 17, 2012

Thanksgiving dress

Oh, my goodness, it's been forever since I've posted anything.  We've been in holiday mode around here, and it's been great!  All the shopping and baking hasn't totally gotten in the way of making stuff, though.  Here (finally) is H's Thanksgiving dress.


I had something totally different in mind (and fabric actually purchased) but then I saw this behind the cutting counter at JoAnn's one day and just had to have it.  It's bright and colorful, yet somehow "fall-ish," too.

I had never (to my knowledge) worked with one of JoAnn's "Keepsake Calico" cottons before, and I can't decide what I thought of it.  It was a lot less crisp than the other 100% cotton quilting fabrics I usually work with.  This makes it a bit harder to work with. (For instance, when you press a bottom edge under for hemming, it doesn't stay neatly pressed on its own; you have to pin it before you stitch.) On the other hand, it's now been washed a couple of times and only required the tiniest touch with the iron afterwards instead of needing a full pressing like these garments usually do.  So, I'm on the fence.

Anyway, back to the point, I made the Tianna dress from Lily Bird Studio.  It was my first time using one of their patterns and I found it very straightforward.


I really like the cute ruffle detail (even if mine is a bit wonky). H really liked having so many buttons.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Monday, December 17, 2012

Thanksgiving dress

Oh, my goodness, it's been forever since I've posted anything.  We've been in holiday mode around here, and it's been great!  All the shopping and baking hasn't totally gotten in the way of making stuff, though.  Here (finally) is H's Thanksgiving dress.


I had something totally different in mind (and fabric actually purchased) but then I saw this behind the cutting counter at JoAnn's one day and just had to have it.  It's bright and colorful, yet somehow "fall-ish," too.

I had never (to my knowledge) worked with one of JoAnn's "Keepsake Calico" cottons before, and I can't decide what I thought of it.  It was a lot less crisp than the other 100% cotton quilting fabrics I usually work with.  This makes it a bit harder to work with. (For instance, when you press a bottom edge under for hemming, it doesn't stay neatly pressed on its own; you have to pin it before you stitch.) On the other hand, it's now been washed a couple of times and only required the tiniest touch with the iron afterwards instead of needing a full pressing like these garments usually do.  So, I'm on the fence.

Anyway, back to the point, I made the Tianna dress from Lily Bird Studio.  It was my first time using one of their patterns and I found it very straightforward.


I really like the cute ruffle detail (even if mine is a bit wonky). H really liked having so many buttons.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.