Friday, December 21, 2012

Toddler girl's ruffled apron



So we've instituted a tradition at our house, at least for these baby years: Santa brings one present (handmade in his garage workshop) and Mama and Daddy buy one.  It kind of stinks, because Santa gets all the credit for our hard work! ;-) Last year, it was a handmade doll and a wooden push toy (which she pretty much never, ever played with, sigh). This year it's a whole bunch of Duplo and a homemade play kitchen. 

The kitchen has turned out to be a pretty big project, and "Santa" is doing a great job with putting it together -- it should be finished in the nick of time.  I, meanwhile, get to do the fun stuff... the little details like dishes, refrigerator magnets, and accessories.  The stuff that makes it feel like a real kitchen! 

One of the things I had in mind from the moment we came up with the play kitchen idea (seriously, I have had this fabric at least six months) was a ruffled apron.  I am a sucker for a ruffled apron, and I have made a couple now based on this absolutely adorable grownup version from One More Moore.  I think I've finally got the dimensions of the toddler-sized version just right, so I thought I'd share measurements and the few little changes I made to the method Morgan Moore used in the original.

I started with: a back piece 13.5" wide by 10.5" long 
One 3"x13.5" piece for the waistband
Four stirs 4"x22" for the ruffles
Two strips 2.5"x20" for the ties

I hemmed three sides (not the top) of the back piece and each of the ruffle pieces.

Then I zigzagged the top edge of each ruffle piece. Oh, Santa, I hope you bring my serger!


I took my tie pieces, folded them each in half lengthwise wrong-side-out, stitched along one end and long side, turned, pressed, and top-stitched. 

Pressed my waistband piece under .25" on all four edges...




...then folded it in half lengthwise, right side out, and pressed.

Made a long gathering stitch along the top of each ruffle strip and gathered until the width of my back piece.  Then pinned and stitched them down thus: the top edge of the bottom ruffle is exactly 3" from the bottom of the back piece. Each of the other ruffles is positioned 1.5" above the one below it. This means that the top ruffle is stitched down .5" from the top edge  of the base piece.

Like this.

It's a bit hard to see here, but I tacked down the apron ties to the top of the backing fabric, then sandwiched the apron and ties inside the waistband piece.  The top of the backing fabric went right into the crease I pressed.

Then I folded and pinned it down, and stitched along all three edges, catching the apron ties, backing fabric, and top ruffle inside the waistband.

So fun! Can't wait to try it on her and see her playing in her new little kitchen.
The fabrics are all by Michael Miller: Retro Put a Lid on It in Citrus Yellow and Electric Green,  Petit Point in Denim Blue, and Ta Dot in Tangerine.


EDITED to add photos of the apron "in the wild."






I took these today while H "helped" (haha!) me bake a cake for her SECOND BIRTHDAY! I can't believe my baby is getting so big! Please excuse the bed head. We are having a "stay in your pajamas all day" kind of day today.

4 comments:

  1. I pinned this darling apron. Beautiful. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I LOVE this!! I can't wait to make it. What is the size of your little girl?

    Tammie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is a skinny-ish 24 months. (Waist about 18.5 inches.) Hope that helps!

      Delete

Be nice.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Toddler girl's ruffled apron



So we've instituted a tradition at our house, at least for these baby years: Santa brings one present (handmade in his garage workshop) and Mama and Daddy buy one.  It kind of stinks, because Santa gets all the credit for our hard work! ;-) Last year, it was a handmade doll and a wooden push toy (which she pretty much never, ever played with, sigh). This year it's a whole bunch of Duplo and a homemade play kitchen. 

The kitchen has turned out to be a pretty big project, and "Santa" is doing a great job with putting it together -- it should be finished in the nick of time.  I, meanwhile, get to do the fun stuff... the little details like dishes, refrigerator magnets, and accessories.  The stuff that makes it feel like a real kitchen! 

One of the things I had in mind from the moment we came up with the play kitchen idea (seriously, I have had this fabric at least six months) was a ruffled apron.  I am a sucker for a ruffled apron, and I have made a couple now based on this absolutely adorable grownup version from One More Moore.  I think I've finally got the dimensions of the toddler-sized version just right, so I thought I'd share measurements and the few little changes I made to the method Morgan Moore used in the original.

I started with: a back piece 13.5" wide by 10.5" long 
One 3"x13.5" piece for the waistband
Four stirs 4"x22" for the ruffles
Two strips 2.5"x20" for the ties

I hemmed three sides (not the top) of the back piece and each of the ruffle pieces.

Then I zigzagged the top edge of each ruffle piece. Oh, Santa, I hope you bring my serger!


I took my tie pieces, folded them each in half lengthwise wrong-side-out, stitched along one end and long side, turned, pressed, and top-stitched. 

Pressed my waistband piece under .25" on all four edges...




...then folded it in half lengthwise, right side out, and pressed.

Made a long gathering stitch along the top of each ruffle strip and gathered until the width of my back piece.  Then pinned and stitched them down thus: the top edge of the bottom ruffle is exactly 3" from the bottom of the back piece. Each of the other ruffles is positioned 1.5" above the one below it. This means that the top ruffle is stitched down .5" from the top edge  of the base piece.

Like this.

It's a bit hard to see here, but I tacked down the apron ties to the top of the backing fabric, then sandwiched the apron and ties inside the waistband piece.  The top of the backing fabric went right into the crease I pressed.

Then I folded and pinned it down, and stitched along all three edges, catching the apron ties, backing fabric, and top ruffle inside the waistband.

So fun! Can't wait to try it on her and see her playing in her new little kitchen.
The fabrics are all by Michael Miller: Retro Put a Lid on It in Citrus Yellow and Electric Green,  Petit Point in Denim Blue, and Ta Dot in Tangerine.


EDITED to add photos of the apron "in the wild."






I took these today while H "helped" (haha!) me bake a cake for her SECOND BIRTHDAY! I can't believe my baby is getting so big! Please excuse the bed head. We are having a "stay in your pajamas all day" kind of day today.

4 comments:

  1. I pinned this darling apron. Beautiful. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I LOVE this!! I can't wait to make it. What is the size of your little girl?

    Tammie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is a skinny-ish 24 months. (Waist about 18.5 inches.) Hope that helps!

      Delete

Be nice.