Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A new kitchen for Christmas!

Nope, Santa didn't bring me a brand-new kitchen, but he brought something even more fun -- a mini-sized one for the nugget!

My handy hubby is almost totally responsible for this awesomeness, as usual.  I got to do the fun stuff -- brainstorm little details, and make and buy accessories.  It turned out so much nicer than I had hoped!

We booted her toybox to another part of the room to squeeze it in by her little kitchen table.  Soon she'll have a whole mini house-within-a-house!



OK, sorry for the bad lighting on this picture, but it's the closest I could come to a full-on front shot without changing camera lenses (which I was too lazy to do), and to get it I had to stand outside the back door in the dark. ;-)


An old toaster oven baking pan for the sink, with a real faucet.  N thought of the towel bar; I whipped up a (very wonky) little hanging towel.


"Window" out onto a garden view, shelf, stove, magnetic Ikea doodad holder, counter space... The little white cabinets we used were less deep than the nightstand we used for the oven, so he built them out and put strips of real (leftover from another project) butcher block at the back.  Added benefit: weight and stability!



N added an oven door to the nightstand, with a plexiglas front, and dollar-store cooling racks for baking racks.  Don't you wish your range/oven came with a (heat-proof) drawer?! He also came up with the solution for the burners: copper tubing he formed into coils. Aren't they pretty?


My splurge: a 1940s or '50s tin tea set from eBay. SO cute.


And my favorite detail -- I asked N to paint the "fridge" with magnetic paint. He did me one better by wrapping the door and side with sheet metal. It looks pretty authentic! I made some of the magnets, and some are purchased, obviously.  I also wrote out some family recipes on cards and had them laminated, and threw in a photo booth strip of the three of us from Homecoming.  We have the same one on our big fridge.

N's mom bought the kiddo a ton of play food for Christmas, so her fridge is well stocked.  The under-sink cabinet is full of little pots and pans (some from Ikea, some dainty-sized real vintage ones from an estate sale that was held around the corner a few months back).

There are a few little details I didn't quite get to before the big day, like labels for her canisters (dollar-store Christmas containers we spray-painted white). Also,we ended up spending a bit more than I thought we would, so it cost more than, say, a plastic one-piece kitchen set.  But it was less than than buying even one "appliance" out of the higher-end ones, and I think it's at least as sweet as those.  And, besides, we only got her two presents! :-)  Anyway, I think it's pretty dadgum cute -- and most importantly, the nugget LOVES it! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! That's one awesome kitchen :) Lucky princess :) Pinning! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A new kitchen for Christmas!

Nope, Santa didn't bring me a brand-new kitchen, but he brought something even more fun -- a mini-sized one for the nugget!

My handy hubby is almost totally responsible for this awesomeness, as usual.  I got to do the fun stuff -- brainstorm little details, and make and buy accessories.  It turned out so much nicer than I had hoped!

We booted her toybox to another part of the room to squeeze it in by her little kitchen table.  Soon she'll have a whole mini house-within-a-house!



OK, sorry for the bad lighting on this picture, but it's the closest I could come to a full-on front shot without changing camera lenses (which I was too lazy to do), and to get it I had to stand outside the back door in the dark. ;-)


An old toaster oven baking pan for the sink, with a real faucet.  N thought of the towel bar; I whipped up a (very wonky) little hanging towel.


"Window" out onto a garden view, shelf, stove, magnetic Ikea doodad holder, counter space... The little white cabinets we used were less deep than the nightstand we used for the oven, so he built them out and put strips of real (leftover from another project) butcher block at the back.  Added benefit: weight and stability!



N added an oven door to the nightstand, with a plexiglas front, and dollar-store cooling racks for baking racks.  Don't you wish your range/oven came with a (heat-proof) drawer?! He also came up with the solution for the burners: copper tubing he formed into coils. Aren't they pretty?


My splurge: a 1940s or '50s tin tea set from eBay. SO cute.


And my favorite detail -- I asked N to paint the "fridge" with magnetic paint. He did me one better by wrapping the door and side with sheet metal. It looks pretty authentic! I made some of the magnets, and some are purchased, obviously.  I also wrote out some family recipes on cards and had them laminated, and threw in a photo booth strip of the three of us from Homecoming.  We have the same one on our big fridge.

N's mom bought the kiddo a ton of play food for Christmas, so her fridge is well stocked.  The under-sink cabinet is full of little pots and pans (some from Ikea, some dainty-sized real vintage ones from an estate sale that was held around the corner a few months back).

There are a few little details I didn't quite get to before the big day, like labels for her canisters (dollar-store Christmas containers we spray-painted white). Also,we ended up spending a bit more than I thought we would, so it cost more than, say, a plastic one-piece kitchen set.  But it was less than than buying even one "appliance" out of the higher-end ones, and I think it's at least as sweet as those.  And, besides, we only got her two presents! :-)  Anyway, I think it's pretty dadgum cute -- and most importantly, the nugget LOVES it! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! That's one awesome kitchen :) Lucky princess :) Pinning! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.