Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My new best pal!



Well, Santa really delivered... I got the serger I had been wanting! After wanting it for so long, you might think I'd have jumped right in, but I allowed intimidation to get the better of me for about 10 days... but when I finally worked up the nerve to get it out and start messing with it, it was love at first sight. It can do so many cool things! Nice, clean overlocked seams, rolled hems, gathers, etc., etc. I decided to dive in with a project and do as much as I could with the serger. I ended up only using the regular sewing machine for the elastic casing!


I made this pair of heart pants as part if a birthday/Valentine's outfit I have planned. I used this tutorial to make simple pants without a pattern, then tweaked it to make a ruffle at the bottom. I serged all the seams, serged the waistband before folding it over for the casing, made narrow rolled hems, and used the serger to gather. The gathers aren't as dramatic as I'd hoped, but I may just need to adjust my technique. I really have a lot to learn, but it was a fun start, and I'm amazed at how fast, quiet, and efficient Little Brother is!


Now to make some kind of top to finish off this outfit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My new best pal!



Well, Santa really delivered... I got the serger I had been wanting! After wanting it for so long, you might think I'd have jumped right in, but I allowed intimidation to get the better of me for about 10 days... but when I finally worked up the nerve to get it out and start messing with it, it was love at first sight. It can do so many cool things! Nice, clean overlocked seams, rolled hems, gathers, etc., etc. I decided to dive in with a project and do as much as I could with the serger. I ended up only using the regular sewing machine for the elastic casing!


I made this pair of heart pants as part if a birthday/Valentine's outfit I have planned. I used this tutorial to make simple pants without a pattern, then tweaked it to make a ruffle at the bottom. I serged all the seams, serged the waistband before folding it over for the casing, made narrow rolled hems, and used the serger to gather. The gathers aren't as dramatic as I'd hoped, but I may just need to adjust my technique. I really have a lot to learn, but it was a fun start, and I'm amazed at how fast, quiet, and efficient Little Brother is!


Now to make some kind of top to finish off this outfit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.