Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Valentine's Day Top


This one was a bit crazy.  I did a whole bunch of stuff I've never done before, including a collar and set-in sleeves! (I guess everything I've made up to now has had raglan sleeves or straps or been sleeveless!) The pattern I used for the shirt and collar... well, let's just say it was less a pattern and more a series of general suggestions.  Not to knock the pattern-maker at all! It's just that she obviously has a lot more skill than me and wrote it for people who know what they're doing more than I do.  Also, she was clearly not a native English speaker.  And it was free.  So... no complaints.



I used this tutorial from MADE for the puffed sleeves, and while they aren't perfect, they turned out way better than I could have realistically expected on my first try!


Please excuse the horror-show lighting! Taken at night in a dim room. :-(



I also had to improvise on the back closure because there was supposed to be a zipper but... well, the aforementioned problems understanding the pattern directions nipped that in the bud.  I had pretty much no facing left to attach the zipper to.  So I ended up making button loop closures and putting buttons on.  It was my first time doing button loops and, again, they turned out a bit better than I'd expected (except I obviously attached the top one too high, so it's hiding under the collar.  Oh, well!)



And here's the whole outfit when paired with the pants from this post. Unfortunately (I think because of the fabric print) it looks too much like pajamas to me! I haven't tried them on H yet, but if they look like pajamas when I put them on her, I will probably separate them into two outfits.  

Right now I'm rushing to whip up her Easter dress, because we will be MOVING soon and I will have no sewing time for a while. :-(  (Sad face about the no time for sewing, happy face about the move! Although not about the packing!)

Here's an Easter dress preview -- I'm using this vintage pattern (View A) and a border fabric (something I haven't done before). I am having so much fun with it (waist darts in a toddler dress?! Toddlers are straight up and down!) and dying to see how it turns out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Valentine's Day Top


This one was a bit crazy.  I did a whole bunch of stuff I've never done before, including a collar and set-in sleeves! (I guess everything I've made up to now has had raglan sleeves or straps or been sleeveless!) The pattern I used for the shirt and collar... well, let's just say it was less a pattern and more a series of general suggestions.  Not to knock the pattern-maker at all! It's just that she obviously has a lot more skill than me and wrote it for people who know what they're doing more than I do.  Also, she was clearly not a native English speaker.  And it was free.  So... no complaints.



I used this tutorial from MADE for the puffed sleeves, and while they aren't perfect, they turned out way better than I could have realistically expected on my first try!


Please excuse the horror-show lighting! Taken at night in a dim room. :-(



I also had to improvise on the back closure because there was supposed to be a zipper but... well, the aforementioned problems understanding the pattern directions nipped that in the bud.  I had pretty much no facing left to attach the zipper to.  So I ended up making button loop closures and putting buttons on.  It was my first time doing button loops and, again, they turned out a bit better than I'd expected (except I obviously attached the top one too high, so it's hiding under the collar.  Oh, well!)



And here's the whole outfit when paired with the pants from this post. Unfortunately (I think because of the fabric print) it looks too much like pajamas to me! I haven't tried them on H yet, but if they look like pajamas when I put them on her, I will probably separate them into two outfits.  

Right now I'm rushing to whip up her Easter dress, because we will be MOVING soon and I will have no sewing time for a while. :-(  (Sad face about the no time for sewing, happy face about the move! Although not about the packing!)

Here's an Easter dress preview -- I'm using this vintage pattern (View A) and a border fabric (something I haven't done before). I am having so much fun with it (waist darts in a toddler dress?! Toddlers are straight up and down!) and dying to see how it turns out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.