Sunday, May 26, 2013

Easter Dress

So, hi, I haven't blogged in, what, three and a half months? Oops.  We have been super-busy, selling our old house, buying a new one, and moving.  Sheesh! I say this every time, but... we're never moving again!

(at least for a few years until my feet start to itch again.) ;-) 

But really, we are so blessed. We love our new house and neighborhood, and one day soon, we will finally be "settled in." So my next few posts may be about house projects.

Anyway, with all that going on, I haven't sewn in ages -- and I really miss it! -- but I did want to post about the last thing I made before all the craziness began: H's Easter dress!

I wanted something really classic, so I got a vintage pattern from 1958 and some pretty polka-dotted fabric with an embroidered border (no longer available). I'd never used a border fabric before, but I really liked what it added here. 

Front
I do love a peter pan collar with piping! And look how wide that skirt is! The little cap sleeves kept it from getting too difficult.

Back
One of the cool things I realized while making this pattern is that it was exactly the style both of H's grandmothers would have been wearing when they were little girls. (And I do have a picture of my mom wearing a very similar look.) So sweet! 

 The big reveal on Easter Day!
After the difficulty I had with the petticoat for her Christmas dress, I cheated and bought a "tutu" on Zulily this time. I really couldn't believe I got her to wear her headband, petticoat, and even (for a little while) little white gloves! So fun. She is just getting to the age where she enjoys dressing up and looking "fancy." She calls this her "princess dress." She has never seen a princess movie yet, but somehow they have already entered her consciousness. I think she thinks anyone who wears a dress is a princess. Sounds fair to me!



My little sweet pea! Yes, it is driving me crazy that the petticoat was sticking out in all the pictures. I am so OCD. But seriously, what is the deal with petticoats?! They look great until I pull out my camera.


There, that's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Easter Dress

So, hi, I haven't blogged in, what, three and a half months? Oops.  We have been super-busy, selling our old house, buying a new one, and moving.  Sheesh! I say this every time, but... we're never moving again!

(at least for a few years until my feet start to itch again.) ;-) 

But really, we are so blessed. We love our new house and neighborhood, and one day soon, we will finally be "settled in." So my next few posts may be about house projects.

Anyway, with all that going on, I haven't sewn in ages -- and I really miss it! -- but I did want to post about the last thing I made before all the craziness began: H's Easter dress!

I wanted something really classic, so I got a vintage pattern from 1958 and some pretty polka-dotted fabric with an embroidered border (no longer available). I'd never used a border fabric before, but I really liked what it added here. 

Front
I do love a peter pan collar with piping! And look how wide that skirt is! The little cap sleeves kept it from getting too difficult.

Back
One of the cool things I realized while making this pattern is that it was exactly the style both of H's grandmothers would have been wearing when they were little girls. (And I do have a picture of my mom wearing a very similar look.) So sweet! 

 The big reveal on Easter Day!
After the difficulty I had with the petticoat for her Christmas dress, I cheated and bought a "tutu" on Zulily this time. I really couldn't believe I got her to wear her headband, petticoat, and even (for a little while) little white gloves! So fun. She is just getting to the age where she enjoys dressing up and looking "fancy." She calls this her "princess dress." She has never seen a princess movie yet, but somehow they have already entered her consciousness. I think she thinks anyone who wears a dress is a princess. Sounds fair to me!



My little sweet pea! Yes, it is driving me crazy that the petticoat was sticking out in all the pictures. I am so OCD. But seriously, what is the deal with petticoats?! They look great until I pull out my camera.


There, that's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.