Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Some sewing and decorating

The office at the front of our house (which is going to be my sewing room, primarily) has been pretty much used as a catch-all the last few months as we have moved in, not that I have had time or energy for sewing anyway! Still, it has made me a bit sad every time I have walked by there and seen my machines practically hidden under and behind boxes and stacks of stuff. But late last week, I did manage to get some sewing done on my mom's machine when I took H down to the farm for a visit. I can always rely on my family to keep her totally occupied while we're there, so I try to use the opportunity to get some stuff done! In this case, I decided to whip up a few tiny dresses for friends' new babies. One of them ended up being born at the exact same time I was working on her dress, so that was a fun coincidence!


First, just made a couple of little onesie dresses. The 0-3 month onesies are so tiny! I had almost forgotten...

And then I made two little pillowcase dresses exactly the same for two brand-new little cousins.
Their great-grandmother, who passed away a little over a year ago, was especially fond of hummingbirds. They are both named after her, so when I saw this pretty hummingbird fabric, I had to use it for them!

After coming home, we spent the weekend working on various projects we want to get done before our upcoming open house party. There is so much to do, I am positive it won't all get done, but we'll see what we can knock out! 

The first one was a small project I have been planning to get around to for months and have been putting off because I was afraid it would be kind of a pain (and because of the aforementioned state of my sewing room!). Our back door has a large glass panel, and in the evening, it always makes me paranoid that the back fence neighbors can see into our house. I'm sure they're nice people (we've only met briefly), but I like to be able to bust a move in the kitchen or walk around in my night clothes without fear of offending anyone! So we obviously needed a curtain there. I decided to go the cheap-and-simple route and use an $11 canvas dropcloth from Lowe's. It shrunk a bit in the wash, which is just what I wanted. I didn't end up having to trim any width and only about a foot of length, so I only had one unfinished edge to deal with! A little pressing and a couple of lines of stitching for the rod pockets, and we have a custom curtain.


If I had it to do over again, I might use a slightly more sheer fabric, because I hadn't realized how much light that door let in, and it is a bit darker now than I would prefer. (I love a bright house!) But this is working for now and I think it looks really nice.  Especially for $11 and about half an hour of my time!

There is a lot more we have been up to, but, as I said, time is at a minimum right now, so I really shouldn't even be sitting here doing this post! More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Some sewing and decorating

The office at the front of our house (which is going to be my sewing room, primarily) has been pretty much used as a catch-all the last few months as we have moved in, not that I have had time or energy for sewing anyway! Still, it has made me a bit sad every time I have walked by there and seen my machines practically hidden under and behind boxes and stacks of stuff. But late last week, I did manage to get some sewing done on my mom's machine when I took H down to the farm for a visit. I can always rely on my family to keep her totally occupied while we're there, so I try to use the opportunity to get some stuff done! In this case, I decided to whip up a few tiny dresses for friends' new babies. One of them ended up being born at the exact same time I was working on her dress, so that was a fun coincidence!


First, just made a couple of little onesie dresses. The 0-3 month onesies are so tiny! I had almost forgotten...

And then I made two little pillowcase dresses exactly the same for two brand-new little cousins.
Their great-grandmother, who passed away a little over a year ago, was especially fond of hummingbirds. They are both named after her, so when I saw this pretty hummingbird fabric, I had to use it for them!

After coming home, we spent the weekend working on various projects we want to get done before our upcoming open house party. There is so much to do, I am positive it won't all get done, but we'll see what we can knock out! 

The first one was a small project I have been planning to get around to for months and have been putting off because I was afraid it would be kind of a pain (and because of the aforementioned state of my sewing room!). Our back door has a large glass panel, and in the evening, it always makes me paranoid that the back fence neighbors can see into our house. I'm sure they're nice people (we've only met briefly), but I like to be able to bust a move in the kitchen or walk around in my night clothes without fear of offending anyone! So we obviously needed a curtain there. I decided to go the cheap-and-simple route and use an $11 canvas dropcloth from Lowe's. It shrunk a bit in the wash, which is just what I wanted. I didn't end up having to trim any width and only about a foot of length, so I only had one unfinished edge to deal with! A little pressing and a couple of lines of stitching for the rod pockets, and we have a custom curtain.


If I had it to do over again, I might use a slightly more sheer fabric, because I hadn't realized how much light that door let in, and it is a bit darker now than I would prefer. (I love a bright house!) But this is working for now and I think it looks really nice.  Especially for $11 and about half an hour of my time!

There is a lot more we have been up to, but, as I said, time is at a minimum right now, so I really shouldn't even be sitting here doing this post! More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.