Saturday, August 17, 2013

My Buttoned Version of the CINO Reversible Wrap Top




A few weeks ago, Jess from Craftiness is Not Optional (aka CINO) and Birch Fabrics got together to share Jess's pattern and tutorial for this adorable reversible wrap top. As soon as I spotted it, I knew I would be making it as soon as I could find some time.  I certainly have a soft spot for anything reversible!

Last night I finally found the time to get started, and it came together SO fast and easy! I LOVE this pattern and will definitely be making a few more. The pattern is perfect, and Jess's directions and photos are fantastic, as always.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to use for the tie closures, and after going back and forth a LOT, I decided to just tweak the top a bit to make it close with buttons instead of ties. It was SO easy to make the adjustment.



If you want to make the button version of the top, here's how you do it... I didn't take pictures as I went, but there wouldn't be much to photograph anyway. All you have to do is to completely skip the parts of the directions that deal with the ties, and stitch the shirt together -- all except for topstitching the bottom of the shirt closed. Figure out where you want your buttonhole in each breast flap, sew/cut your buttonhole and use a washable marking pencil to mark where your buttons will go. Then sew on your buttons, but --  here's where it's important that the bottom of the shirt isn't closed yet -- instead of sewing all the way through, sew it so that the stitching on the back of the button is between layers. Otherwise, the stitching for one side's button would show on the other side. And if your back-of-button stitching is as messy as mine, you certainly don't want that!






Once your buttons and buttonholes are done, you can close it up with topstitching as the directions indicate. I also top-stitched the entire shirt all the way around. I always find that makes garments, especially reversible ones, look a bit more polished and need a lot less ironing!

I love the way this shirt turned out, and I extra-double-love how fast and easy it was. Lalala!



2 comments:

Be nice.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

My Buttoned Version of the CINO Reversible Wrap Top




A few weeks ago, Jess from Craftiness is Not Optional (aka CINO) and Birch Fabrics got together to share Jess's pattern and tutorial for this adorable reversible wrap top. As soon as I spotted it, I knew I would be making it as soon as I could find some time.  I certainly have a soft spot for anything reversible!

Last night I finally found the time to get started, and it came together SO fast and easy! I LOVE this pattern and will definitely be making a few more. The pattern is perfect, and Jess's directions and photos are fantastic, as always.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to use for the tie closures, and after going back and forth a LOT, I decided to just tweak the top a bit to make it close with buttons instead of ties. It was SO easy to make the adjustment.



If you want to make the button version of the top, here's how you do it... I didn't take pictures as I went, but there wouldn't be much to photograph anyway. All you have to do is to completely skip the parts of the directions that deal with the ties, and stitch the shirt together -- all except for topstitching the bottom of the shirt closed. Figure out where you want your buttonhole in each breast flap, sew/cut your buttonhole and use a washable marking pencil to mark where your buttons will go. Then sew on your buttons, but --  here's where it's important that the bottom of the shirt isn't closed yet -- instead of sewing all the way through, sew it so that the stitching on the back of the button is between layers. Otherwise, the stitching for one side's button would show on the other side. And if your back-of-button stitching is as messy as mine, you certainly don't want that!






Once your buttons and buttonholes are done, you can close it up with topstitching as the directions indicate. I also top-stitched the entire shirt all the way around. I always find that makes garments, especially reversible ones, look a bit more polished and need a lot less ironing!

I love the way this shirt turned out, and I extra-double-love how fast and easy it was. Lalala!



2 comments:

Be nice.