Tuesday, October 15, 2013

DIY Granite Wipes



Our new house is the first place we've ever lived with granite countertops. Being naturally... shall we say "frugal"... about such things, I pretty much instantly googled "DIY granite cleaner" and started making this spray, which works great. 

But eventually I found myself going, "How can we make this even easier? Is there such a thing as granite wipes?" Turns out, there is.  And, being frugal, I decided to DIY them.  (I bought the Weiman wipes in the photo above after the fact, to see how they compared with mine. Mine are extremely comparable -- maybe even a little better!)

Here is where I need to point out that using granite wipes is not the same as using granite cleaning spray and a microfiber cloth.  It just isn't.  You will not get the same beautiful shine, and you will probably get some streaks. (I have had slightly more streaks with the Weiman wipes than with the ones I made, but I got a bit of streaking either way.) If I'm having people over, I will reach for the spray bottle every time. But for day-to-day touchups, having the wipes in reach is very handy.  So here's how you make them. It's super-easy!



1.  Get some sort of empty plastic container. ;-)  A diaper-wipe box would work just as well -- maybe better.


2.  Cut a roll of paper towels to fit in the container. Don't worry about the cardboard tube right now. (A knife would probably work a lot better than scissors! But I managed.)


3.  Put the paper towels in the wipes container.  (Obviously, I started with a partial roll of towels, which was important because a full roll wouldn't have fit.)


4. Mix your solution -- the same as the link to the spray solution above: 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 3 drops dish soap, about 1 3/4 cups water, and (if you want) some essential oil for the scent. 



5.  Pour over your paper towels until they're good and soaked.  If you have solution left over, pour it into your granite spray bottle!


6. Let it soak in for a few minutes, and then the cardboard tube will be easy to remove. You can also pour off any excess liquid.


7. Pull a wipe up from the middle, feed it through the dispenser lid, and you're done!

That's it!

I don't like my wipes to be very wet, so when I pull mine out, I sometimes squeeze a bit of excess liquid into the sink. But, you know... it's right there. ;-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

DIY Granite Wipes



Our new house is the first place we've ever lived with granite countertops. Being naturally... shall we say "frugal"... about such things, I pretty much instantly googled "DIY granite cleaner" and started making this spray, which works great. 

But eventually I found myself going, "How can we make this even easier? Is there such a thing as granite wipes?" Turns out, there is.  And, being frugal, I decided to DIY them.  (I bought the Weiman wipes in the photo above after the fact, to see how they compared with mine. Mine are extremely comparable -- maybe even a little better!)

Here is where I need to point out that using granite wipes is not the same as using granite cleaning spray and a microfiber cloth.  It just isn't.  You will not get the same beautiful shine, and you will probably get some streaks. (I have had slightly more streaks with the Weiman wipes than with the ones I made, but I got a bit of streaking either way.) If I'm having people over, I will reach for the spray bottle every time. But for day-to-day touchups, having the wipes in reach is very handy.  So here's how you make them. It's super-easy!



1.  Get some sort of empty plastic container. ;-)  A diaper-wipe box would work just as well -- maybe better.


2.  Cut a roll of paper towels to fit in the container. Don't worry about the cardboard tube right now. (A knife would probably work a lot better than scissors! But I managed.)


3.  Put the paper towels in the wipes container.  (Obviously, I started with a partial roll of towels, which was important because a full roll wouldn't have fit.)


4. Mix your solution -- the same as the link to the spray solution above: 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 3 drops dish soap, about 1 3/4 cups water, and (if you want) some essential oil for the scent. 



5.  Pour over your paper towels until they're good and soaked.  If you have solution left over, pour it into your granite spray bottle!


6. Let it soak in for a few minutes, and then the cardboard tube will be easy to remove. You can also pour off any excess liquid.


7. Pull a wipe up from the middle, feed it through the dispenser lid, and you're done!

That's it!

I don't like my wipes to be very wet, so when I pull mine out, I sometimes squeeze a bit of excess liquid into the sink. But, you know... it's right there. ;-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.