Monday, October 7, 2013

Toddler-Friendly Halloween Decor!



Halloween is a much bigger deal in our new neighborhood than in our old one.  Our last neighborhood was mostly a mix of older (like retired) people and young people with no kids.  Our first Halloween there, I excitedly filled a bowl of candy and waited in costume on the front porch... and one kid showed up.  His family was new in town, too, so they hadn't gotten the memo: The place was a dead zone (haha) on Halloween.

Last year, I was beginning my house hunting during October, and I drove through what is now our current neighborhood many times scouting it out.  It was so exciting!  Most of the houses were decked out with fun decorations galore.  And from our experience trick-or-treating at our in-laws' house (in a similar neighborhood just a few minutes away) I am expecting approximately ten bajillion cute trick-or-treaters at my door come the 31st.

(That comes with anxiety of its own. I have NO IDEA how much candy to buy. And should I buy all candy, or are trinkets like stickers OK, too? It's keeping me up at night, practically! But I digress.)

After being Halloween curmudgeons like our old neighbors for the past several years, I was excited to decorate this year.  Of course, we didn't have any decorations, really -- and with a 2-year-old in the house, I knew I wanted it to be strictly cute and not scary at all.  (Especially given her reaction when we accidentally wandered into the Halloween yard inflatable aisle of Home Depot the other week -- she was NOT happy.)

So I decided to go with a pumpkin patch theme with a full-sized homemade scarecrow, and, once again, Handy Hubby came through and did most of the work.

I did the fun stuff, like drawing the pumpkin shapes...


... and making the scarecrow head...


... while he did the actual labor -- involving building a PVC scarecrow frame, cutting out pumpkin shapes, and making doohickeys (technical term) for the back of the pumpkins so they will stand up.




We both did the painting and scarecrow dressing/stuffing together.  Team O!  I had originally planned to paint lines down the pumpkins to look like ridges, but the first several attempts turned out looking really bad, so I decided they looked enough like pumpkins as-is. ;-)

I was a little afraid H would be nervous about the scarecrow (whom we have named Buddy), but she got over that quickly.  Now, she insists on visiting him every time we're outside. The weird thing is, she calls him Daddy about half the time.  And when she found a spare, unstuffed "Buddy" head I had discarded (trial run -- too small), instead of finding it creepy, she started carrying it around and calling it her "Daddy puppet!" Kids are so weird.

Here's Buddy at night. Can't take credit for the cool lighting -- the landscape lights were already here when we moved in; we just stuck him in front of one.





So, what do you think? Too spare? I think I am going to fill it out a bit with some real pumpkins I bring home from this year's pumpkin patch visit, and I may also tape some black paper bats into the high entryway window so they will be backlit at night. Any other suggestions?



1 comment:

Be nice.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Toddler-Friendly Halloween Decor!



Halloween is a much bigger deal in our new neighborhood than in our old one.  Our last neighborhood was mostly a mix of older (like retired) people and young people with no kids.  Our first Halloween there, I excitedly filled a bowl of candy and waited in costume on the front porch... and one kid showed up.  His family was new in town, too, so they hadn't gotten the memo: The place was a dead zone (haha) on Halloween.

Last year, I was beginning my house hunting during October, and I drove through what is now our current neighborhood many times scouting it out.  It was so exciting!  Most of the houses were decked out with fun decorations galore.  And from our experience trick-or-treating at our in-laws' house (in a similar neighborhood just a few minutes away) I am expecting approximately ten bajillion cute trick-or-treaters at my door come the 31st.

(That comes with anxiety of its own. I have NO IDEA how much candy to buy. And should I buy all candy, or are trinkets like stickers OK, too? It's keeping me up at night, practically! But I digress.)

After being Halloween curmudgeons like our old neighbors for the past several years, I was excited to decorate this year.  Of course, we didn't have any decorations, really -- and with a 2-year-old in the house, I knew I wanted it to be strictly cute and not scary at all.  (Especially given her reaction when we accidentally wandered into the Halloween yard inflatable aisle of Home Depot the other week -- she was NOT happy.)

So I decided to go with a pumpkin patch theme with a full-sized homemade scarecrow, and, once again, Handy Hubby came through and did most of the work.

I did the fun stuff, like drawing the pumpkin shapes...


... and making the scarecrow head...


... while he did the actual labor -- involving building a PVC scarecrow frame, cutting out pumpkin shapes, and making doohickeys (technical term) for the back of the pumpkins so they will stand up.




We both did the painting and scarecrow dressing/stuffing together.  Team O!  I had originally planned to paint lines down the pumpkins to look like ridges, but the first several attempts turned out looking really bad, so I decided they looked enough like pumpkins as-is. ;-)

I was a little afraid H would be nervous about the scarecrow (whom we have named Buddy), but she got over that quickly.  Now, she insists on visiting him every time we're outside. The weird thing is, she calls him Daddy about half the time.  And when she found a spare, unstuffed "Buddy" head I had discarded (trial run -- too small), instead of finding it creepy, she started carrying it around and calling it her "Daddy puppet!" Kids are so weird.

Here's Buddy at night. Can't take credit for the cool lighting -- the landscape lights were already here when we moved in; we just stuck him in front of one.





So, what do you think? Too spare? I think I am going to fill it out a bit with some real pumpkins I bring home from this year's pumpkin patch visit, and I may also tape some black paper bats into the high entryway window so they will be backlit at night. Any other suggestions?



1 comment:

Be nice.