Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Neighbor Gifts: Homemade Dog Treats


It's our first Christmas in our new neighborhood, and I don't really know if people do neighbor gifts at Christmas, but I like to do a little something for the closest neighbors. I also wanted to give them Christmas cards but thought sending them through the mail when they were going next door or across the street seemed pretty insane, so I decided to do a small gift and leave them on doorsteps along with our cards. 

I did a little thinking and realized that all of our close neighbors have dogs. (We are apparently the only people who don't have one… and I'm just fine with that!) So I thought, why not do a little treat for the dogs instead of yet another batch of fudge, jar of cookie mix, or jar of "Russian tea" mix. Not that there's anything wrong with those things -- I absolutely love them! But I wanted to do something a little different.

Anyway, here is a recipe I adapted from Allrecipes.com. Mine made about 35 good-sized treats.

5 cups whole wheat flour
4 eggs
1 can pumpkin
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
water as needed (I used 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
oats as needed (I used about a cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients except water and oats. Add water until you have a consistent dough. It will be sticky and not totally smooth. Then add enough oats that you can work with it with your hands. It will still be sticky, but will be formable. Use your hands to pat it out about 1/2 inch thick, then cut into shapes and put on a cookie sheet. Because this is a sticky dough, the shapes might not be perfect. But you can just keep re-forming the leftover bits and re-cutting, so none should be wasted. Bake until nice and hard, about 40 minutes.


Even though these are totally edible by humans, I just didn't have the heart to take a taste! But they ended up with a hard and crunchy consistency. I hope the doggies like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Neighbor Gifts: Homemade Dog Treats


It's our first Christmas in our new neighborhood, and I don't really know if people do neighbor gifts at Christmas, but I like to do a little something for the closest neighbors. I also wanted to give them Christmas cards but thought sending them through the mail when they were going next door or across the street seemed pretty insane, so I decided to do a small gift and leave them on doorsteps along with our cards. 

I did a little thinking and realized that all of our close neighbors have dogs. (We are apparently the only people who don't have one… and I'm just fine with that!) So I thought, why not do a little treat for the dogs instead of yet another batch of fudge, jar of cookie mix, or jar of "Russian tea" mix. Not that there's anything wrong with those things -- I absolutely love them! But I wanted to do something a little different.

Anyway, here is a recipe I adapted from Allrecipes.com. Mine made about 35 good-sized treats.

5 cups whole wheat flour
4 eggs
1 can pumpkin
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
water as needed (I used 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
oats as needed (I used about a cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients except water and oats. Add water until you have a consistent dough. It will be sticky and not totally smooth. Then add enough oats that you can work with it with your hands. It will still be sticky, but will be formable. Use your hands to pat it out about 1/2 inch thick, then cut into shapes and put on a cookie sheet. Because this is a sticky dough, the shapes might not be perfect. But you can just keep re-forming the leftover bits and re-cutting, so none should be wasted. Bake until nice and hard, about 40 minutes.


Even though these are totally edible by humans, I just didn't have the heart to take a taste! But they ended up with a hard and crunchy consistency. I hope the doggies like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.