Saturday, January 25, 2014

Back in the saddle

Singing: Hello, yeah, it's been awhile…
              not much… how 'bout youuuuuu?

OK, I'm giving away too much information about my dorky taste in music.

But really, it's been awhile! Christmas was even busier than usual this year, it seems, and then N and I each had a death in our respective sides of the family, and then we started working in earnest on converting the playroom to a nursery for the upcoming addition to the family (a project I can't wait to share!) so there hasn't been a whole lot of down time for sewing or for blogging.

Maybe that's why, when I finally got back into the sewing room today, I made so many dumb mistakes. I'm just rusty, I guess. I also had a little learning to do on the new sewing machine I got for Christmas (I know! That makes  three new machines in one year -- I'm so spoiled!) but I can already tell I'm really going to like it. I'm just not used to a sewing machine that can do so many things by itself. (And feeling a little bit guilty about replacing my old, super-basic workhorse, to be totally honest!)

Anyway, the point is, the top I made today took me a whole lot longer than it should've, due to my own silly mistakes and slowness. But I think the end result is cute and I'm looking forward to trying this top again to see if I can do better next time.


The pattern I used for the top is the very cute and straightforward Izzy Top from Climbing the Willow. The designer, Teri, has just added a bunch of new sizes (for free!!) on her blog, so I was able to use the 3T instead of sizing up the original 2T.  It isn't tricky at all, so I'm not quite sure why I kept messing things up, but you just have days like that, you know? Maybe it's baby brain.



I also added some decorative topstitching along the neckline and hem, just because (1) I'm the biggest fan of topstitching ever and (2) I was having fun seeing what my new machine can do all by itself! For a budget-friendly machine, this thing is really impressive (although I suspect the self-threading mechanism may be more trouble than it's worth). I'm really enjoying playing with it.  I just love Brother machines! (I wish they were paying me for saying that!)

Anyway, it sort of gets lost on that busy fabric, but it will be fun to add those little extra-special touches to a lot of outfits now with all the decorative stitching options.

This line of stitching is actually straight -- the hem was just lying wavy… wavily… whatever.



For the button placket I used a bit of the corduroy to tie the outfit together, and then a covered button I have had for ages (but only one -- who knows where it came from?!) that has an orange on it. It's a little kooky, but I figured there are only so many opportunities to use such a random button, and besides, butterflies LOVE oranges. ;-)


The bottoms where whipped up in about half a minute (it seemed) using the Basic Pant pattern from MADE. This is a great standby pattern that I will use a LOT (unisex is nice, since baby #2 is a boy!). I love that it has a lower rise in the front than the back so it is shaped with a little booty, like a real kid. Also, it's just super-easy and quick to make a nice, durable pair of pants, so what's not to like!

Anyway, that's the new outfit. Cute for late winter with a sweater, I'm thinking, and then it will be wearable right through spring.  And the top should be great through summer with jeans or shorts. 

Fabric:  top: Cocoon by Valori Wells (Kind of a funny choice since I have a mild phobia of butterflies in real life! But H loves them, and she will look so cute in this.)
             pants: Kaufman (maybe?) 21-wale corduroy I've had in my stash for a year

SINGING: And I'd really love to see ya toniiiiight…

Ugh, I'm the lamest. ;-)

EDITED to add pictures of the outfit in the wild. She was obviously being ultra-cooperative. ;-)


Well, hellloooooo, Crazyface!

2 comments:

  1. You are pretty lame, but I like that song, too. I really like that topstitch. I think that stitching would look so cute in white on a dark color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I so adore that Crazyface! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Back in the saddle

Singing: Hello, yeah, it's been awhile…
              not much… how 'bout youuuuuu?

OK, I'm giving away too much information about my dorky taste in music.

But really, it's been awhile! Christmas was even busier than usual this year, it seems, and then N and I each had a death in our respective sides of the family, and then we started working in earnest on converting the playroom to a nursery for the upcoming addition to the family (a project I can't wait to share!) so there hasn't been a whole lot of down time for sewing or for blogging.

Maybe that's why, when I finally got back into the sewing room today, I made so many dumb mistakes. I'm just rusty, I guess. I also had a little learning to do on the new sewing machine I got for Christmas (I know! That makes  three new machines in one year -- I'm so spoiled!) but I can already tell I'm really going to like it. I'm just not used to a sewing machine that can do so many things by itself. (And feeling a little bit guilty about replacing my old, super-basic workhorse, to be totally honest!)

Anyway, the point is, the top I made today took me a whole lot longer than it should've, due to my own silly mistakes and slowness. But I think the end result is cute and I'm looking forward to trying this top again to see if I can do better next time.


The pattern I used for the top is the very cute and straightforward Izzy Top from Climbing the Willow. The designer, Teri, has just added a bunch of new sizes (for free!!) on her blog, so I was able to use the 3T instead of sizing up the original 2T.  It isn't tricky at all, so I'm not quite sure why I kept messing things up, but you just have days like that, you know? Maybe it's baby brain.



I also added some decorative topstitching along the neckline and hem, just because (1) I'm the biggest fan of topstitching ever and (2) I was having fun seeing what my new machine can do all by itself! For a budget-friendly machine, this thing is really impressive (although I suspect the self-threading mechanism may be more trouble than it's worth). I'm really enjoying playing with it.  I just love Brother machines! (I wish they were paying me for saying that!)

Anyway, it sort of gets lost on that busy fabric, but it will be fun to add those little extra-special touches to a lot of outfits now with all the decorative stitching options.

This line of stitching is actually straight -- the hem was just lying wavy… wavily… whatever.



For the button placket I used a bit of the corduroy to tie the outfit together, and then a covered button I have had for ages (but only one -- who knows where it came from?!) that has an orange on it. It's a little kooky, but I figured there are only so many opportunities to use such a random button, and besides, butterflies LOVE oranges. ;-)


The bottoms where whipped up in about half a minute (it seemed) using the Basic Pant pattern from MADE. This is a great standby pattern that I will use a LOT (unisex is nice, since baby #2 is a boy!). I love that it has a lower rise in the front than the back so it is shaped with a little booty, like a real kid. Also, it's just super-easy and quick to make a nice, durable pair of pants, so what's not to like!

Anyway, that's the new outfit. Cute for late winter with a sweater, I'm thinking, and then it will be wearable right through spring.  And the top should be great through summer with jeans or shorts. 

Fabric:  top: Cocoon by Valori Wells (Kind of a funny choice since I have a mild phobia of butterflies in real life! But H loves them, and she will look so cute in this.)
             pants: Kaufman (maybe?) 21-wale corduroy I've had in my stash for a year

SINGING: And I'd really love to see ya toniiiiight…

Ugh, I'm the lamest. ;-)

EDITED to add pictures of the outfit in the wild. She was obviously being ultra-cooperative. ;-)


Well, hellloooooo, Crazyface!

2 comments:

  1. You are pretty lame, but I like that song, too. I really like that topstitch. I think that stitching would look so cute in white on a dark color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I so adore that Crazyface! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.