Monday, January 27, 2014

Review: DIY "fondant" cake topper using Wilton's Shape-N-Amaze Edible Decorating Dough

H's 3rd birthday is coming up, and we are having a party! But after brainstorming and fretting and pinning about a million ideas for the perfect party… I decided to take it easy on myself and let someone else do most of the heavy lifting. (I've already had a few big parties this year, and I kind of need a break! Especially now that I'm in my 3rd trimester and starting to feel it.)

So we are having a gymnastics party at the gym where she took lessons over the summer, and probably will again this summer.

Still, I couldn't have a party without a FEW special touches, so I decided to make and decorate the cake myself. Even though I have never made a layer cake in my life, let alone a custom-decorated one!

Pinterest saved the day again, of course, giving me all the info I needed to make a great layer cake from scratch and ice it in a way that is easy but looks fancy (well, my practice version turned out great, anyway -- will blog about that later!).

I knew I would also want to make something really personalized to put on top, but all my Pinterest-ing left me feeling a little nervous about making my own fondant, etc.  So I decided to do a "semi-homemade" version using this pre-colored product from Wilton.

And here's the result after maybe an hour of work last night. A little gymnast girl who looks a lot like mine!

(I even made her leotard to match the one H will wear to her party, haha!)


It was really, really easy to do! It comes out of the package really hard, but you knead it in your hands and it softens up. The rest is just forming shapes, like you would with modeling clay or play dough. And what toddler's mom isn't already a play dough superstar, right?

It isn't super-cheap ($5 per color) but I have a lot left over. I also only purchased two colors-- the peach (called "natural") and the royal blue. I made the hair color by adding a tiny bit of orange gel food coloring to a bit of the peach. It worked in easily, so customizing colors is totally doable.

I made the eyes with a toothpick and smile with a spoon. I used broken bits of toothpick to attach the limbs. It is now drying/hardening, and from what I read online, should last for ages if I store it in a cool, dry place after it's hardened.

It's theoretically edible, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat it! (Still, it's nice to know there's nothing in it that will poison our cake!) Since no one will be eating it, I didn't think it would be too bad to fudge on the "edible" part by using a Q-tip to brush on a tiny bit of real blush on her cheeks. :-)

One last little trick I think may save us some hassle on the party day (please excuse the suggestive pic!):


I poked a few holes underneath so we can attach her to the cake with toothpicks. Wouldn't do to have our gymnast falling over!

All in all, I really like this product! I'm sure I will be using it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Review: DIY "fondant" cake topper using Wilton's Shape-N-Amaze Edible Decorating Dough

H's 3rd birthday is coming up, and we are having a party! But after brainstorming and fretting and pinning about a million ideas for the perfect party… I decided to take it easy on myself and let someone else do most of the heavy lifting. (I've already had a few big parties this year, and I kind of need a break! Especially now that I'm in my 3rd trimester and starting to feel it.)

So we are having a gymnastics party at the gym where she took lessons over the summer, and probably will again this summer.

Still, I couldn't have a party without a FEW special touches, so I decided to make and decorate the cake myself. Even though I have never made a layer cake in my life, let alone a custom-decorated one!

Pinterest saved the day again, of course, giving me all the info I needed to make a great layer cake from scratch and ice it in a way that is easy but looks fancy (well, my practice version turned out great, anyway -- will blog about that later!).

I knew I would also want to make something really personalized to put on top, but all my Pinterest-ing left me feeling a little nervous about making my own fondant, etc.  So I decided to do a "semi-homemade" version using this pre-colored product from Wilton.

And here's the result after maybe an hour of work last night. A little gymnast girl who looks a lot like mine!

(I even made her leotard to match the one H will wear to her party, haha!)


It was really, really easy to do! It comes out of the package really hard, but you knead it in your hands and it softens up. The rest is just forming shapes, like you would with modeling clay or play dough. And what toddler's mom isn't already a play dough superstar, right?

It isn't super-cheap ($5 per color) but I have a lot left over. I also only purchased two colors-- the peach (called "natural") and the royal blue. I made the hair color by adding a tiny bit of orange gel food coloring to a bit of the peach. It worked in easily, so customizing colors is totally doable.

I made the eyes with a toothpick and smile with a spoon. I used broken bits of toothpick to attach the limbs. It is now drying/hardening, and from what I read online, should last for ages if I store it in a cool, dry place after it's hardened.

It's theoretically edible, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat it! (Still, it's nice to know there's nothing in it that will poison our cake!) Since no one will be eating it, I didn't think it would be too bad to fudge on the "edible" part by using a Q-tip to brush on a tiny bit of real blush on her cheeks. :-)

One last little trick I think may save us some hassle on the party day (please excuse the suggestive pic!):


I poked a few holes underneath so we can attach her to the cake with toothpicks. Wouldn't do to have our gymnast falling over!

All in all, I really like this product! I'm sure I will be using it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.