Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A project I will NOT be doing again

Some DIY projects are just not worth the hassle, and I have decided that sewing your own Boppy cover is one.  I wanted a new cover for our old Boppy that would have some cute custom fabrics for Baby Boy, and I picked a sweet baby deer fabric and then a tan and white polka dot minky that echoes the spots on the fawns' backs.

First I tried a tutorial I found online, where you trace your existing Boppy pillow to make your own pattern. Apparently, my tracing skills are lacking, because my finished product was WAY too small to actually fit on the pillow.

Next, I went on Etsy and paid to download a pattern.

It was awful. I have had lots of fantastic success with homemade patterns downloaded from Etsy (H's Easter dress, which I'll be posting soon, is a good example) but there have been a few flops, and this was one. It was totally unclear how the pattern was supposed to be printed and taped together, and when I did manage to figure that out, the instructions and photos were unclear at best. So there was a lot of figuring things out as I went. I did finally get it all put together, but it took what felt like FOREVER because it just wasn't any fun, and in the end, the result is kind of sloppy. The fit just isn't that great. And that's definitely the pattern's doing, not mine -- I followed it to the letter. (Or at least I think I did... given how vague it was.)

See? Kind of a mess.


One little touch I added that makes it look a teensy bit better was a line of homemade piping. I got the idea because H's old Boppy cover has some piping. It also doesn't go all the way around, although it does go down further than this does. I happened to have one yard of a nice fat cord I had bought a long time ago to attempt DIY piping with and never actually used.  It worked well for this -- and it was super-easy to make the piping with some store-bought bias tape. So that is a nice skill to have in my back pocket.


 This pattern also called for a zipper, which I do not have much experience with. Unfortunately, installing this one didn't do much to get me over my zipper-phobia, because the terrible instructions led to a lot of not-much-fun trial and error.


So there you go. A rather sloppy but functional Boppy cover -- in some really cute fabrics. If I ever decide to make another one, please send me the link to this post and remind me that they sell plenty of cute Boppy covers at reasonable prices on a little thing called the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A project I will NOT be doing again

Some DIY projects are just not worth the hassle, and I have decided that sewing your own Boppy cover is one.  I wanted a new cover for our old Boppy that would have some cute custom fabrics for Baby Boy, and I picked a sweet baby deer fabric and then a tan and white polka dot minky that echoes the spots on the fawns' backs.

First I tried a tutorial I found online, where you trace your existing Boppy pillow to make your own pattern. Apparently, my tracing skills are lacking, because my finished product was WAY too small to actually fit on the pillow.

Next, I went on Etsy and paid to download a pattern.

It was awful. I have had lots of fantastic success with homemade patterns downloaded from Etsy (H's Easter dress, which I'll be posting soon, is a good example) but there have been a few flops, and this was one. It was totally unclear how the pattern was supposed to be printed and taped together, and when I did manage to figure that out, the instructions and photos were unclear at best. So there was a lot of figuring things out as I went. I did finally get it all put together, but it took what felt like FOREVER because it just wasn't any fun, and in the end, the result is kind of sloppy. The fit just isn't that great. And that's definitely the pattern's doing, not mine -- I followed it to the letter. (Or at least I think I did... given how vague it was.)

See? Kind of a mess.


One little touch I added that makes it look a teensy bit better was a line of homemade piping. I got the idea because H's old Boppy cover has some piping. It also doesn't go all the way around, although it does go down further than this does. I happened to have one yard of a nice fat cord I had bought a long time ago to attempt DIY piping with and never actually used.  It worked well for this -- and it was super-easy to make the piping with some store-bought bias tape. So that is a nice skill to have in my back pocket.


 This pattern also called for a zipper, which I do not have much experience with. Unfortunately, installing this one didn't do much to get me over my zipper-phobia, because the terrible instructions led to a lot of not-much-fun trial and error.


So there you go. A rather sloppy but functional Boppy cover -- in some really cute fabrics. If I ever decide to make another one, please send me the link to this post and remind me that they sell plenty of cute Boppy covers at reasonable prices on a little thing called the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.