Friday, July 25, 2014

Skirts!

 H is starting preschool this year, and it's making me go crazy, apparently. I have spent an utterly absurd amount of time and money on the perfect backpack and lunchbox (you seriously don't even want to know how much brain power has gone into this). 

Now I am frantically making school clothes. Oh! She will need reversible jumpers for school! I keep telling myself. Even though school is going to be two mornings a week. And it's not like she doesn't already have clothes.

I think I have pre-traumatic stress. Or some form of OCD. I don't know. Whatever.

I am currently starting work on a fancy personalized nap mat. Even though the kid hasn't napped in a year and a half. (Maybe she'll rest! Right.) And I just purchased the (expensive) materials to make her a mini messenger bag. For school. Even though... previously mentioned backpack.

I'm pretty sure N is going to stage an intervention soon. 

Aaaaaanyway.

Here are some skirts I made. For school. I'm sure she will be the most overstyled kid in the 3's class.




I really love this style, and will definitely be making more of these. I got the tutorial from a blog called Groovy Baby... and Mama. I think it's a Danish blog, and the tutorial is in Danish, but between the photos, the simplicity of the design, and a little Google Translate magic, I was able to figure it out.

I thought the camera print was a bit funky. H likes it. "YOU have a camera, Mama!" You should know, child, as I have been sticking it in your face nine times a day since birth. Poor kid.

With a little friend showing off the skirt's best feature: POCKETS!

 I love pockets. Why have I never put them in one of H's skirts before? Nothing could be easier. I also used some jumbo rickrack on the bottom for a little extra something.

She probably won't really be wearing this one a whole lot for awhile, because I accidentally made it a bit too long.

This next skirt is one I can't BELIEVE has taken me so long. I have had the tutorial (from the ever-talented Dana) in the back of my mind for two years, and I have had the fabric (from Michael Miller's Mini Mikes line) in my stash for about the same length of time, just waiting to figure out what to do with it. Finally, one day, the two thoughts bumped into each other. :-)


Ruffles! Pennants! Polkadots! Razzmatazz! It's a party in skirt form!

I like the red rolled hem, which is good, because I used it for several other projects I have going at the same time. (Setting up the serger for a rolled hem takes me forever, because I just don't do it that often and have to get out the manual, so I figured I'd better make it worth my while. And I had several projects in my to-do list with ruffles and red accents, so it worked out well.)



I added some top-stitching, which wasn't in the original tutorial, because I can't NOT.

Dots hiding under the ruffles. So fun.


Here's the inside, just in case you're wondering what that's like. Surprisingly neat and un-bulky, considering everything going on on the outside.

This skirt would have been pretty tedious to do all at once, I think. (That is a LOT of serging and gathering and pinning.) But I was sort of working on it between projects and in little snatches of time, so it seemed to go fast.

Boy is it cute on the kiddo. I'll have to come back and add a picture later.

If I do it again, I'll do seersucker like Dana did in the original. If possible, it's even cuter, and I can't get enough seersucker.

Well, off to do some hand-stitching on a blanket for a nap mat that will probably never get used! 



3 comments:

  1. I want that camera skirt for me! So adorable. Post pics of H in them soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see you pulling that off adorably! :-)

      Delete

Be nice.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Skirts!

 H is starting preschool this year, and it's making me go crazy, apparently. I have spent an utterly absurd amount of time and money on the perfect backpack and lunchbox (you seriously don't even want to know how much brain power has gone into this). 

Now I am frantically making school clothes. Oh! She will need reversible jumpers for school! I keep telling myself. Even though school is going to be two mornings a week. And it's not like she doesn't already have clothes.

I think I have pre-traumatic stress. Or some form of OCD. I don't know. Whatever.

I am currently starting work on a fancy personalized nap mat. Even though the kid hasn't napped in a year and a half. (Maybe she'll rest! Right.) And I just purchased the (expensive) materials to make her a mini messenger bag. For school. Even though... previously mentioned backpack.

I'm pretty sure N is going to stage an intervention soon. 

Aaaaaanyway.

Here are some skirts I made. For school. I'm sure she will be the most overstyled kid in the 3's class.




I really love this style, and will definitely be making more of these. I got the tutorial from a blog called Groovy Baby... and Mama. I think it's a Danish blog, and the tutorial is in Danish, but between the photos, the simplicity of the design, and a little Google Translate magic, I was able to figure it out.

I thought the camera print was a bit funky. H likes it. "YOU have a camera, Mama!" You should know, child, as I have been sticking it in your face nine times a day since birth. Poor kid.

With a little friend showing off the skirt's best feature: POCKETS!

 I love pockets. Why have I never put them in one of H's skirts before? Nothing could be easier. I also used some jumbo rickrack on the bottom for a little extra something.

She probably won't really be wearing this one a whole lot for awhile, because I accidentally made it a bit too long.

This next skirt is one I can't BELIEVE has taken me so long. I have had the tutorial (from the ever-talented Dana) in the back of my mind for two years, and I have had the fabric (from Michael Miller's Mini Mikes line) in my stash for about the same length of time, just waiting to figure out what to do with it. Finally, one day, the two thoughts bumped into each other. :-)


Ruffles! Pennants! Polkadots! Razzmatazz! It's a party in skirt form!

I like the red rolled hem, which is good, because I used it for several other projects I have going at the same time. (Setting up the serger for a rolled hem takes me forever, because I just don't do it that often and have to get out the manual, so I figured I'd better make it worth my while. And I had several projects in my to-do list with ruffles and red accents, so it worked out well.)



I added some top-stitching, which wasn't in the original tutorial, because I can't NOT.

Dots hiding under the ruffles. So fun.


Here's the inside, just in case you're wondering what that's like. Surprisingly neat and un-bulky, considering everything going on on the outside.

This skirt would have been pretty tedious to do all at once, I think. (That is a LOT of serging and gathering and pinning.) But I was sort of working on it between projects and in little snatches of time, so it seemed to go fast.

Boy is it cute on the kiddo. I'll have to come back and add a picture later.

If I do it again, I'll do seersucker like Dana did in the original. If possible, it's even cuter, and I can't get enough seersucker.

Well, off to do some hand-stitching on a blanket for a nap mat that will probably never get used! 



3 comments:

  1. I want that camera skirt for me! So adorable. Post pics of H in them soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see you pulling that off adorably! :-)

      Delete

Be nice.