Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Naproll -- We've gone full princess!



Although my own nap mat tutorial is the most popular post I've ever done, I used a different one this week to make H a nice, compact roll-up nap mat for preschool.

The Sew4Home.com nap roll is quite a bit more challenging than my pillow-stuffed nap mat, but it is just perfect for toting to school.

H went with me to JoAnn to pick out the fabric, so I let her choose. And we came away with some stuff I would not have normally chosen: a purple tie-dye fleece for the blanket and a fabric I like to call "The Full Princess". It's got everything -- castles, ponies, hearts, carriages, rainbows, pink, and glitter. Oh, my! It got glitter everywhere after the first prewash, but fortunately seems to have stopped shedding after the second.

I'm not usually big on promoting the whole princess thing, but I think it occurs naturally in three-year-old girls, so I'm not going to hinder her natural inclinations, either. So we went with it!

 I deviated from the tutorial in a few small ways, such  as doing a blanket stitch around the edge rather than using a satin blanket binding. I'm really pretty bad at hand-stitching. Especially while watching Boardwalk Empire. ;-) But it's sorta cute in a wonky kind of way.


Here is the whole thing unrolled. When I showed it to her this morning, she climbed under the blanket and said, "I LOVE IT!" Which is pretty much why I do this stuff that keeps me up way past my bedtime (see name of blog). :-)


I also added a little pocket with a bit of turquoise glitter fabric left over from this project, and some pink baby pompom trim. And I did my first embroidery machine applique! Ohhhh, my goodness. So easy and satisfying. I see many appliques in our future. The only tricky part is trimming, and I bought a crazy-looking pair of scissors that really make that much easier.

Of course, H doesn't recognize that as a letter H. She said it was a donkey wearing a crown. Then later,  after I had told her it was supposed to be an H, she told me it was an H with a kangaroo face wearing a crown. Confusing! Oh, well. She will know it's hers at school. Hers is the one with the fancy donkey-kangaroo!

This is probably not a project for true beginners. There's a lot of precise cutting and lining-up, and sewing through all the layers to quilt the mat part is really pretty hard. But it's straightforward enough, and very quick. The only thing I didn't immediately understand about the directions was what end to put the straps on if you are using a directional print fabric. (I eventually figured it out -- it's the foot end.)

The full-princess nap mat coordinates well with the backpack and lunch box we had already picked out. Backpack from Company Store Kids, lunch box from Pottery Barn Kids. Both on sale now!

Perfect for a certain little princess. ;-)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Naproll -- We've gone full princess!



Although my own nap mat tutorial is the most popular post I've ever done, I used a different one this week to make H a nice, compact roll-up nap mat for preschool.

The Sew4Home.com nap roll is quite a bit more challenging than my pillow-stuffed nap mat, but it is just perfect for toting to school.

H went with me to JoAnn to pick out the fabric, so I let her choose. And we came away with some stuff I would not have normally chosen: a purple tie-dye fleece for the blanket and a fabric I like to call "The Full Princess". It's got everything -- castles, ponies, hearts, carriages, rainbows, pink, and glitter. Oh, my! It got glitter everywhere after the first prewash, but fortunately seems to have stopped shedding after the second.

I'm not usually big on promoting the whole princess thing, but I think it occurs naturally in three-year-old girls, so I'm not going to hinder her natural inclinations, either. So we went with it!

 I deviated from the tutorial in a few small ways, such  as doing a blanket stitch around the edge rather than using a satin blanket binding. I'm really pretty bad at hand-stitching. Especially while watching Boardwalk Empire. ;-) But it's sorta cute in a wonky kind of way.


Here is the whole thing unrolled. When I showed it to her this morning, she climbed under the blanket and said, "I LOVE IT!" Which is pretty much why I do this stuff that keeps me up way past my bedtime (see name of blog). :-)


I also added a little pocket with a bit of turquoise glitter fabric left over from this project, and some pink baby pompom trim. And I did my first embroidery machine applique! Ohhhh, my goodness. So easy and satisfying. I see many appliques in our future. The only tricky part is trimming, and I bought a crazy-looking pair of scissors that really make that much easier.

Of course, H doesn't recognize that as a letter H. She said it was a donkey wearing a crown. Then later,  after I had told her it was supposed to be an H, she told me it was an H with a kangaroo face wearing a crown. Confusing! Oh, well. She will know it's hers at school. Hers is the one with the fancy donkey-kangaroo!

This is probably not a project for true beginners. There's a lot of precise cutting and lining-up, and sewing through all the layers to quilt the mat part is really pretty hard. But it's straightforward enough, and very quick. The only thing I didn't immediately understand about the directions was what end to put the straps on if you are using a directional print fabric. (I eventually figured it out -- it's the foot end.)

The full-princess nap mat coordinates well with the backpack and lunch box we had already picked out. Backpack from Company Store Kids, lunch box from Pottery Barn Kids. Both on sale now!

Perfect for a certain little princess. ;-)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.